Russia has denied the bombing of Mariupol’s theater. Kremlin says, the Russian military has not targeted civilians ever since its February 24 attack on Ukraine. Local officials, citing witnesses, said a bombing at a theater in the besieged city of Mariupol on March 16 may have killed more than 300 people.
The city council clarified that it was still not possible to determine the exact death toll after the incident, saying a powerful Russian airstrike hit the drama theater where hundreds of people were taking refuge. The Ukrainian government has previously said it was impossible to say how many were killed because Mariupol is in dire straits and continues to be bombed.
But Russia is constantly denying this. Russia denies bombing the theatre. Kremlin says the Russian military has not targeted civilians ever since its February 24 attack on Ukraine.
Mariupol city council gives a statement on Friday saying, “Witnesses receive information that about 300 people died at the Mariupol Drama Theater as a result of a bombing by Russian aircraft.” He said that “until the very last moment, no one wants to believe in this horror. But the words of the people inside the building at the time of this terrorist act show the opposite.”
He said it was estimated that around 1,300 people were sheltering in the building to protect themselves from Russian shelling, and only 150 of them managed to pull themselves out of the rubble immediately after the attack. A spokesman for the city council issued a statement in this regard and said that it was the biggest loss of life and property in a single Russian attack so far.
Ukrainian officials have said that about 130 people were rescued from the rubble and that the theater basement, where local officials said many people were taking refuge at the time of the bombing, all have been attacked.