After the shooting in Texas a few days back, another killing in the Church of Nigeria has come to the fore. Gunmen have killed an unknown number of church worshippers in Ondo state, southwest Nigeria. No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
At least 50 people, including women and children, were massacred during a Sunday Mass gathering at a Church in Ondo State, southwest Nigeria. The details about the unknown ‘gunmen’ aren’t known. As per reports, the armed men entered St Francis Catholic church in Owo during Sunday service. Reportedly, they also fired into the congregation and kidnapped a priest and other people who were attending the Church as per eye-witnesses.
A doctor at a hospital in Owo, a town in the state in Nigeria’s southwest, that no fewer than 50 bodies had been moved to the FMC (Federal Medical Center) in Owo and to St Louis Catholic Hospital. President Muhammadu Buhari said “only fiends from the nether region” could have done this “dastardly act”.
There has been an increase in violence, especially Islamic insurgency across Nigeria in recent months. While the number of those killed in the Sunday massacre is not known, reports say that even children were killed in the same. Nigerian President Buhari said that the country will not give in to ‘evil and wicked people’ and Ondo state governor Rotimi Akeredolu said that the attack on Christians was a ‘vile and Satanic attack’.